Our history

The house was built in 1910 by Alessandro Vergallo, an ambitious, cultured and eclectic young entrepreneur who grew up in one of the most prominent families in Surbo and the province.

In 1922 Alessandro donated the villa, which at the time was not far from the village, to Evelina, his wife, when she gave birth to their firstborn daughter Carmelina.

Since then, it became the family's summer residence and also a meeting place for local artists and intellectuals.

Ten rooms, five of which are bedrooms, all overlooking the garden, preserve the original style. The white of Lecce stone dominates everything and the sun, present at all hours of the day, makes the rooms bright.

Breakfast is served in the veranda. Here, two large bookcases on the wall facing the garden contain books on art, culture, entertainment and fiction that can be consulted by guests during their stay, perhaps in the shade of one of the fruit trees in the typical Salento garden or on the solarium of the beautiful swimming pool, dominated by a characteristic centuries-old dry stone wall.

Each room is named after a woman in the Vergallo family: Evelina, Carmela, Nanuzza and Rosa; the suite is named after its founder, Alessandro.